bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Serious real life problems in a fantasy? I have a fantasy story I'm writing and several other fantasy ideas, which treats (in-depth or almost) some serious real life problems, such as diseases - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Every story (I am talking about genre fiction, not high-end purple-prose literary exploits) needs a conflict. Any conflict, even in fantasy settings, needs to be believable, and allow your readers to relate to it, and the only way to achieve that is to base the events in your story on what happens in real life, or the extrapolation of those, with an optional involvement of magic, elves, knights, and so on--to appease your audience, for it is what that audience expects to find in a fantasy book.

Fantasy as a genre is in fact often much more violent, then, for instance, romance. Your knights have them, swords, for a reason, and if they are just walking around and talking politely about the weather without hacking anyone to pieces, why bother to write (and read) about them?

Write the story you have, not the story you think your audience expects from you. That is a proven recipe for failure.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murphy332

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best