bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I figure out my main character's overall goal? I'm currently brainstorming a fantasy story, and I love the idea of my main character, but I'm having a hard time pinning down who she - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Thre is no such thing as an overall goal for a person (other than to be happy, blah, blah). Any person, whether a real one or a fictional character, has a slew of simultaneous goals, ranging from making it to the bathroom on a morning after a party the night before to a getting a multi-million government contract for developing a uberdrive for faster-than-light travel (now try to go to that meeting having a pounding hangover headache and land that job).

Our goals change with everything the life and the Universe throw at us time after time.

What you might try is to explore, how your hero would react to a challenging situation. You say you know her abilities? Offer her something which she is not equipped to handle, and see what she does.

She has a job? Fire her.

She has a family? Kill them ruthlessly in a suspicious car crash.

She has magic powers? Fire her, kill her family, and make her drink something on that party the night before, which negates her magic to the point that it might not come back at all.

Then see what happens.

You are the creator and the owner of her Universe. If you want to know what her goals are, you can do whatever you wish to flush them out.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best