bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Math textbook - Crediting sources and copyright protection of source materials I want to write a simple textbook on standard high-school level algebra. Most of what we know about the field, we - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It might be helpful to know that recipes can't be copyrighted www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html (so procedures by themselves are not copyrighted although you can't really copy blocks of wording).

It also might help to know about which math titles are in the public domain and can be copied without any penalty. www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Mathematics_(Bookshelf)
(There might be others online, but Gutenberg usually does a more thorough copyright investigation).

My guess is that all you would need to do is to acknowledge books you referred to in a bibliography at the end.

You might find this Quora question to be useful: Are math problems copyrighted? and this Stack Exchange one: Copyright of mathematical formulas

Finally you could just summarize parts of books (for example) and as long as the organization of material and phraseology is not the same, you would have nothing to fear.

(I am not a lawyer, etc...).

I'd be more attentive to making the examples and illustrations unique and don't worry so much if the sequence of presentation resembles another work.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Nimeshi163

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best