bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to writer longer stories for a SciFi novel? I'm writing science fiction short stories and intend to later expand and stitch them together into a science fiction novel. My problem is that - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm writing science fiction short stories and intend to later expand and stitch them together into a science fiction novel.

My problem is that (e.g.) the scenery is left / the destination point is arrived at too quickly. This doesn't mean that the story needs to be over at that point but most of the times it more or less asks for a new chapter.

Many times I could expand them as I often just basically "explain" a science fiction idea (e.g. by examination/experience of an object/phenomena) where it probably should rather be an exploration of the idea. But not always and often I'm not sure how. At the same time I aim to have the story be as non-vacuous as possible.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Don't try to expand your story into something larger. If your story works at its shorter length then trying to blow it up into something longer will end up with superfluous action and characters. If you like the world depicted, try to find some other characters and events in that world that could play out over a longer timespan. If you like the characters, look at what happened before, after or around the events of the short story, or put them into something that will take longer to resolve.

Load Full (0)