bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is there a widely accepted standard for representing simultaneous ongoing events in a screenplay? Let's say I'm writing a scene where Arnold and Jo are arguing over whether to go out tonight - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Let's say I'm writing a scene where Arnold and Jo are arguing over whether to go out tonight or not.

While they do this, though, Rupert is also in the process of constructing a house of cards, and Gertrude is quite noisily searching in the cupboard for some lasagne sheets.

Each of these things play out in their own time, only to simultaneously reach their conclusion:

Arnold finally gives in and cries, "Fine. Have your way. We'll go the post office!"
Rupert finishes his house of cards, only to step backwards from it and have it collapse.
Gertrude finds the lasagne sheets, and cries "lasagne!" in triumph.

(Assume, for the sake of argument, these will all be captured in a single continious wide shot.)

Are there any existing conventions about how simultaneous threads like these should be dealt with in a script? If not, what can be done to minimise the confusion for the reader.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This seems like something for FunnyBackgroundEvent.

You might have the cards happening on screen, but not the primary thing, and the cooking as well, and then when the argument concludes, possibly with a doorslam, the cards fall, and the lasagna pan is dropped, or the souffle deflates, etc.

... Oh... You want how to write it into a script, like in words... No help there, sorry...

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

As in any creative endeavour, it is up to you to decide how the scenes play out depending on what you want to convey. Are Arnold and Jo heading for a breakup because they are always arguing? Have the house of cards collapse in a cut-away straight after the argument concludes. Is the lasagne going to be a disaster? Have the cards collapse after that. Is Rupert orchestrating Arnold & Jo's contuinual arguments? Have him flick the cards so they collapse just before the conclusion of the argument. etc. You decide what you want the scenes to say.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

...what can be done to minimize the confusion for the reader...

While I am not an expert on script formatting convention, it is my understanding that neither screen nor stage scripts are intended for just reading, but rather for performing by professional actors under the professional director's guidance. Author's notes (action or parenthetical) should suffice.

Load Full (0)