bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Not sure if my idea for a conclusion is introducing a new argument I hate conclusions, but one thing I know about them is that you're not supposed to introduce new arguments. The theme of - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I hate conclusions, but one thing I know about them is that you're not supposed to introduce new arguments.

The theme of my essay is about how the class of characters in the work I'm writing about influences what happens to them, or more plainly: How class influences the situations of characters.

Would it be considered introducing a new argument in the conclusion if I wrote about the lack of social mobility and higher income inequality in the world today? Would it depend on how I stated this? I've been stuck on my conclusion for a while and would appreciate some help. If I wasn't clear enough, please tell me.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shakeerah107

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

One valuable rule of persuasive writing --which includes essays --is "tell the audience what you are going to tell them [introduction], tell them [main body], then tell them what you told them [conclusion]." The reason behind it is that it can be surprisingly difficult for people to process new ideas. So a bit of targeted repetition actually helps.

If your conclusion does not match your introduction and main body, it will be unlikely to persuade people, regardless of its own merits. They may find your writing confusing and off-putting, or deceptive. Or, they might just wonder why you wasted time talking about something different, only to rush through your best argument at the last possible moment.

It sounds like the lack of social mobility is a good support to your main argument --so why not introduce it earlier? The fact that you dislike conclusions suggests that you're trying too hard to do new work in that section. If your introduction and main body are strong, the conclusion should write itself (by just reiterating them).

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The conclusion of a piece should be the wrap up, or the judged reasoning of what you have come to from your analysis.

In a scientific article, the conclusion lists what the end result of the experiment was; Was the hypothesis correct? In terms of an English essay, it's similar. You don't introduce anything new - a physicist won't suddenly add new information in the conclusion, "Oh, by the way, I did this test three more times with this different liquid".

In your case, it varies. If you're introducing evidence, for example, a quote that states that there is more income equality or lack of social mobility, or discussing how the text relates to modern day issues, that is considered adding new information. However, if you are using this as our overall conclusion, for example by stating:

From [author]'s use of [techniques], it is evident that the author uses
class as a signification of the lack of modern social mobility, and
the higher income inequality in our world today.

In order for this to work, however, the entire piece should be written in a way that means that this conclusion can be reached. All points that you make in the essay should relate back to the idea that there is higher income inequality, and the link between the book and real life should be stated early on. For example, by stating:

The author's use of [technique] in [quote] can also be attributed to be a social commentary on our modern increasing amounts income inequality that has become prevalent in modern life.

So - ironically - in conclusion, the conclusion should be a wrap up of the entire piece that summarizes information stated before hand. It varies based on what information you're intending to use in the conclusion, however as a rule of thumb - you can always introduce the concepts early on, and carry them along as a theme for your entire piece.

Load Full (0)