bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Not sure if my idea for a conclusion is introducing a new argument I hate conclusions, but one thing I know about them is that you're not supposed to introduce new arguments. The theme of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

One valuable rule of persuasive writing --which includes essays --is "tell the audience what you are going to tell them [introduction], tell them [main body], then tell them what you told them [conclusion]." The reason behind it is that it can be surprisingly difficult for people to process new ideas. So a bit of targeted repetition actually helps.

If your conclusion does not match your introduction and main body, it will be unlikely to persuade people, regardless of its own merits. They may find your writing confusing and off-putting, or deceptive. Or, they might just wonder why you wasted time talking about something different, only to rush through your best argument at the last possible moment.

It sounds like the lack of social mobility is a good support to your main argument --so why not introduce it earlier? The fact that you dislike conclusions suggests that you're trying too hard to do new work in that section. If your introduction and main body are strong, the conclusion should write itself (by just reiterating them).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best