bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is representing distorted voices via different typefaces, and different languages represented by enclosing brackets an advisable thing to do? In the current draft of my book, the evil dictator - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Think about it: Are you reading this answer on paper, or on a (color) screen? The convention may change quickly, if readers accept changes

Conventional wisdom says not to play 'games' with typography (until/unless one is a big-name author), but that convention is based back in the history/technology/economics of movable type and printing presses. However, if we write and read primarily on screens, (thus freed from the constraints of paper and printing processes), we can do it differently -- if (and only if) the changes tell the story to the intended audience sufficiently better. So much so that the readers' approval is evident to the current gatekeepers.

That said, conventions change with the technology and reader expectations/enjoyment. If using different fonts, italics, bold or punctuation unconventionally tells stories more effectively, I think that will eventually win out. At present, the expectations of agents, editors and publishers are the gatekeepers, but those gates aren't locked -- and effective storytelling is the key.

Two examples of interest: In Startide Rising, author David Brin used a variety of typographic signs (uppercase, paired punctuation marks such as '::') to indicate alien/telepathic 'speech.' It was his second novel published, and won the Hugo award.

In The Stars My Destination, Alfred Bester uses some interesting language-on-paper techniques to convey synesthesia (a scrambling between senses.) Most serious fans consider it one of his best books.

Your mileage may vary; I'm hoping the conventions evolve.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gonzalez219

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best