bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to write realistic female dialogue I just can't make my dialogue sound like it's being said by a woman. As a friend of mine pointed out, "This woman talks just like you, Jack." I tried - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think your problem is that you do not know your character enough yet. I read some very good tricks on this board: listen to people talking in public. But listening is only HALF of it. Watch their postures. How do they move their hands? How does the dynamic goes with two? With three? This is a fascinating thing to do, one you can do without being a creep. Then once you observed women, do the same exercise with men.

A quick trick a veteran writer once gave to me, when I struggled with a similar issue. You are WRITING, you are not filming or giving every inflection and twist of language. Focus on what the character would say that's important. Sometimes it's not what the character says, but how does she say it. What does she leave out? What's her body language when she says it. I found that when writing women characters, its not as much what they say as how they say it.

Ever had a woman tell you "Do what you want!" What she says is not as important as her posture...

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berryessa137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best