bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Complex, long sentences are less common in modern English than in modern German, or in the English of a century ago, or in Latin. Most style guides agree that a sentence that one has to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Complex, long sentences are less common in modern English than in modern German, or in the English of a century ago, or in Latin.

Most style guides agree that a sentence that one has to read twice in order to understand it is inferior to rephrasing the same such that one may understand it in one read. (Did you enjoy reading the previous sentence? I think it is a bit ugly, but I feel too lazy to make it easier to read.) However, there are some topics that might be nearly impossible to understand without reading several sentences twice. Nevertheless the ideal must always be to save the reader as much time and effort as possible.

That said, complex sentences can be quite readable if structured well; linking words help a lot, as do conjunctions. There are many authors who can get away with very long, complex sentences without forcing their readers to reread anything.

I suppose it all depends on how you do it; perhaps it might prove useful if you added a few examples to your question of complex sentences that your teacher disapproved of. On the one hand, the modern trend of writing in very short sentences by using full stops everywhere, depreciating semicolons and colons, has always seemed excessive to me, as you can see; on the other, I do agree that many writers of dubious skill tend to write sentences that are too long.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best