bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Seeking attribution for mystery verses This is going to sound quite odd but I understand it is not an entirely original phenomenon. I am incorporating poems I have written into a novel. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

This is going to sound quite odd but I understand it is not an entirely original phenomenon. I am incorporating poems I have written into a novel. One poem in particular features four lines the origin of which I have always questioned. I am not someone with cognitive issues but I continually feel I read them somewhere before writing them. Sounds crazy I know, but when writing they just simply "appeared" with little effort. Further they use more romantic language than Is native to most of my writing. Are they my words or not? I can't reasonably answer that. I certainly hope so but would be horrified to have "kleptomaniacally" stolen someone else's verse!

I have searched high and low to access these lines, to attribute them to an author, with little luck. Any suggestions?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

If the Google can't find it I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the source of the text is ancient, Google not being to find it means nobody has quoted for 20 years.

Our brains are full of information we've no idea where it came from. We may have read it, we may have heard it, or we have made it up. Sometimes we have no idea.

It is also to be noted, much as we try, we're just not that original. Watch a TV drama or film. When two people are in conversation - guess the response before you here it. There's a good chance you'll get it right the majority of the time.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

You can always attribute it to "Author Unknown" which, I believe, indicates that you've tried to locate the author and failed.

My other suggestion is to try an actual librarian, possibly at a university library, as they often have accumulated a variety of knowledge beyond us mere mortals.

Load Full (0)