bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Use of Regional Diction in Writing Let's say a piece of writing is being composed. That piece of writing can, of course, be crafted with a slew of different techniques and artistic choices, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

Let's say a piece of writing is being composed. That piece of writing can, of course, be crafted with a slew of different techniques and artistic choices, but, one of those is the language used. How does the use of regionally-diverse diction, such as that used in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", contribute to a work holistically? Is it better to match the context of a piece with diction relevant to the given context, or simply to retain a consistent and standard styling?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I may also add: somebody mentioned that consistency is the key - this is not necessarily true.

I've no advice for fantasy writers but 'real world' writing is totally different. Heavy dialect can become a chore to read - what is needed is an initial 'instruction' plus reminders.

You can set this up by a character talking to his peers or countrymen, whether they be stereotypical Jamaican drug-dealers, African-American gang-bangers, Mexican illegal immigrants, or Terrorist refugees.

Your character is using heavy dialogue when speaking to his peers. But on receiving a phone call from his boss, school-teacher etc . . . reverts to the Queen's English.

'International' characters will change their dialect in accordance with who their are communicating with.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

It depends on your market and the quality of your readership. There is a battle between two major forms of the English Language - British English and American English. US culture is very internal - American's interest rarely extends beyond its borders. But the rest of the world has been fed American English via film and other media. The result is that most of the English speaking world is well versed in both British and US English whereas Americans tend only know their own.

e.g.

"Hurry up," shouted Liz. "If you two want a lift to work you need to get a wiggle on."

Maria yawned. "I am not going to my job today. In this moment I feel too tired."

"That's because you stayed out half the night - you slapper." Liz laughed. "Heidi, you ready?"

Heidi appeared in the kitchen doorway. "Sure, I'm ready," she said, entering Maria's room and shaking her by the shoulder. "Anchor baby, I'll tell 'em you're sick."

From gleaning the text a reader may suspect that Liz is English, Maria is Hispanic (even is she was born in the USA) and in all likelihood Heidi is American.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

How does the use of regionally-diverse diction, such as that used in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", contribute to a work holistically?

It can create a better sense of immersion. It can allow the reader to play with stereotypes (eg. people with a certain accent/slang come from a certain region/class and typically display certain behaviours) whether by reinfocing them or opposing them. It can help disntiguish characters quickly.

Is it better to match the context of a piece with diction relevant to the given context, or simply to retain a consistent and standard styling?

The keywords when choosing to go this route are 'depends' and 'consistency'.

First, make sure it really makes sense to use this type of writing. Secondly, you ought to mimic it accurately, or not at all. By this I don't mean every detail of the regional diction needs (although you can certainly do so) to be presented but a few obvious indications. I believe idioms may be more important even than diction.

Naturally, consistency is key. Once you have a French character 'speak' with an accent, you can't go back or it will 'sound' as if the character chooses to speak with an accent only when it suits them.

Load Full (0)