logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Should I add more detail to my story, or just leave it vague and add it all in later? I am having a hard time with adding detail, I feel it may leave a good chunk of the story out, but

Sent2472441 @Sent2472441

Add details like they cost money.

That being said..

During the race to build the first US transcontinental railroad, both sides operated with the mantra, "Build it first. We'll fix it later." Maybe you should try doing exactly that?

While you're first-drafting, let your story spill out. Just get it down. Later, when you're second-drafting, you'll have the scaffolding in place and a clearer vision. The question of whether to add more detail will likely answer itself under the brighter light.

Something else to consider: Adding content vs deleting and/or reorganizing it. For example..

Delete three paragraphs for every one you add
Try moving things around..
Do you need those adverbs?
Target weak sentences loaded down with "be verbs" and rewrite them using their stronger counterparts, "action verbs".

There's a fair amount of discussion on that last thought.

I agree with your observation that too much detail can bore the reader and push them away. So harness this strength of your writing style—write it first, then fix it later.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme