bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it too cliche to have the villan of my story from a different planet? I need to know because all of the anime that I watch have at least one character or more from another planet, and - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I need to know because all of the anime that I watch have at least one character or more from another planet, and they're not usually friendly. I don't want to come off as one of those who "follow the crowd" but I don't really have any other ideas.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Alves689

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The quality of any storyline or character is in the execution. Having one characteristic in common with many other stories does not, by definition, make it a cliché. That said, if you're worried about it, why not change it?

And if you're going to change it, take some time to study why it's done in the first place.

Why is the villain from Outside or Other Place in all the animes
you've watched? There's a strong communal society element in Asian
cultures, so Othering is more meaningful than in Western cultures.
Does this play a part?
What would happen in your story if your villain was from another
country? Another state/province? Another town? Another block? Is it
essential to the character and the conflict that he is geographically
Outside?
Could your villain be a local who is Othered for something he did or
said or is rather than his birthplace? Could he be a former local who
moved away and was raised Elsewhere, and is now returning?
Could your hero be from Other Place returning to Home Place to
save it from the villain?

Take some time to analyze the stories you've seen, and this may help you to understand why so many of them are making the same narrative choices. Then you can decide if you want to do this as well, or if your story can be improved by making a different choice.

Load Full (0)