bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Planning ahead or going with the flow? My friend is writing a book, but he plans far ahead. I just think of a thing and write it, and if it doesn't make sense, I tweak it to fit. Is - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

My friend is writing a book, but he plans far ahead. I just think of a thing and write it, and if it doesn't make sense, I tweak it to fit.

Is it mandatory to plan in advance what will go on in the story, or is it okay to just free write and edit later?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Alves689

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

You're not required to write your story in any particular way. Just write it. (You might be interested in this essay by Anne Lamott called "Shitty First Drafts" (PDF))

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

As you have already detected, there are many ways to write a book and every author brings something new to the process. If careening into an unknown future is a comfortable writing style for you, then best of luck in your endeavors.

"Just cause I don't know where I am going, doesn't mean that I am lost."

On the other hand, if you get weary of randomly rambling around in your fictional world, there are many, many other approaches which have worked for successful authors in the past. Be open to new experiences, including the to-you-heretical experience of planning ahead.

Load Full (0)