bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I avoid making all my characters speak like me? I'm writing a story and it is really hard to avoid putting my own speech patterns into my stories. Especially for the mean and dark - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Before you start writing any story, form the key characters and situations in your head (or on a sheet of paper). For each key character, list down their characteristics, backgrounds, and other details you would like to communicate to your reader in written or non-written manner.

The details that you write down, like the age and look are simple to communicate. The character's characteristics like honesty will be reflected from the way he/she reacts to different situations. Finally, the background of the character or the origin, will have an impact not only on how the character reacts to different situations but also how he/she speaks. Like a college going student is going to speak differently than a retired service-man. However, there will be certain similarities if they come from the same family - we often catch a lot of mannerisms and words (or speaking manners) from our elders.

The best way to practice this is to observe people. Whenever you are in a public place, keep your ears and eyes open. Listen to people or just observe them from a distance (I don't mean offensive staring or stalking, in any way). Slowly, they will start becoming characters in your head and then give them all voices, a background and other details. Have them converse. It helps.

Good Luck!!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best