bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can publishers accept spacing between paragraphs? Reason I ask is because every time I use indents the paragraphs end up all on the left side in a straight line but if I space the paragraphs - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Reason I ask is because every time I use indents the paragraphs end up all on the left side in a straight line but if I space the paragraphs it doesn't.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cody1607638

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I would highly recommend you follow your publisher's style guide. Often a publisher will have a specific manner in which they would like your manuscript laid out. In fact, some publishers won't even accept you if you don't follow it. It is instrumental that you check if your publisher has a specific manner in which they want you to lay out your work as well as how strict they are on it.

I also suggest you stop using google docs. I almost chuckled when I read that because Microsoft Word is the better and more accessible option. Google docs offers very little flexibility in formatting and in my opinion, is a bit frustrating to work with, perhaps because I have a poor internet connection though.

In short, you should:

Consult a style guide
Switch programs. Use something better than google docs.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Times may have changed in recent years, but I would think that Google Docs is not at all useful for publication. I've used it to write documents at work, and it offers annoying little control over formatting. Furthermore, there is no feature to “export” to another file format. And any publisher will want a file they can hold locally and manipulate, not a URL that can’t be input into their publishing software.

I suggest getting the free Libre Office. And don't worry about the formatting per se, but rather make sure everything is assigned to a named style, not applied directly. This will let you restyle for nice PDF or ebook, or generate the double-spaced typewriter output that traditional publishers want.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Many publisher will have a format they want material in, conform to it. If you are a writer, I would recommend you fork the money for a local word processor on your own machine rather than the Google editor.

Load Full (0)