bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Making the antagonist How do I make a really "good" antagonist? I like the Idea that they should have a motive, as in my novel, the current antagonist needs to inhabit earth so his race can - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is another question which is (a) Too broad. (b) Does not take into account the subjectiveness of "good".

Your plot is well-used and has proven difficult to incorporate a detailed antagonist due to difficulty of communications.

In "War of the Worlds" they pretty much wanted to destroy us and didn't want to talk about it. "Independence Day" was more of the same. "The Day Earth stood still" featured a plot in which we were the bad guys.

The TV series "V" didn't really follow the single hero / villain plot as there were good and bad on both sides.

The difficulties in providing backstory and showing interaction between protagonist and antagonist may be one of the reasons than S/F novels are traditionally shorter than others. Alien invasions are particularly difficult to handle because when people are coming to destroy you . . . you don't really care why.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Margaret427

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best