bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How significant a role have editors played on books published in the past? I am an editor having difficulties dealing with the representative of an author's literary estate about an unpublished - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Firstly, you don't say what type of editor you are. Different editors perform different functions.

Before continuing with my answer I must admit to my own bias. Based on experience: independent editors for manuscripts to be mainstream published are a waste of time. There is no correlation between "well-written" and "best-seller".

Random House, Harpercollins and Co. have sold millions, maybe even billions of books. They employ their own editors to shape content the way they know their existing readers will enjoy. An independent editor may remove the 'darling' that hooked the acquisition's editor.

I cannot answer your primary question but I am able to address the secondary issue.

If your are an independent editor you have no say. You're a contractor - nothing more. It is not your name on the spine. You're working for the son of a deceased property developer. The son wants you to paint the picker fence of the latest property yellow.

You're saying that his father always insisted the picket fences were painted white.

Whatever . . . he is your client: either paint the fence the way he wants it and get paid or refuse and recommend another contractor. You have no legal standing here.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Frith254

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best