bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can you show that a character is feeling amazing? It's easy to show hesitance, fear or angst, you can have a character smoking 5-10 cigarettes in a row, linger for way too long, act out, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It sounds like you may need to delve a little deeper into the character's internal life.

A common way to tell a story is to focus on the surface elements - what the characters say and do but in written literature, we have access to the inner thought life of the person.

Feeling a certain way is not just the moment and the actions but the history and context, the inner life, the sensations, and your subjective reaction to them all.

It may be of benefit for you to review Stanislavski's An Actor Prepares. In case you have not the time or motivation to read it right now (you should), let me give you a very truncated lesson as applied to writing.

Remember when you felt amazing (or whatever you need to convey).

What were your hands/arms/legs doing?
Were you smiling, grinning, or poker face?
Remember each part of your body in that moment

What thoughts were going through your head?

Were you tranquil or filled with anticipation?
What was your inner monologue?
Did you even have an inner monologue or was it all pure sensation?

How did it change your perception of the world around you?

Did things seem brighter and more vibrant?
What did the sun/wind/rain feel like at that time?
Were you hot or cold (and did you care)?

What was the context of that moment?

What parts of your personal history contributed to that feeling?
What were the events that led up to that feeling and how did they feel?
Was this catharsis of an earlier feeling or an escape?

Now, using words alone, make me feel it too. If you can do that you will portray the emotion of the moment vividly enough that the scene will come to life for the reader. There is no right or wrong way to show that feeling just so long as you make me feel it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best