bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to keep consistency of style through a piece of writing? This is something I've noticed in all of my writings, whether it's an essay, a diary, a fiction or anything else. I tend to start - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It's a process. The first few things you write should be 'in your own words'. Ignore any thoughts of grammar or sentence structure.

This will reveal "How you write, your voice." - learn it. Understand it.

Novel writing is not about grammar and correctness.

Compare.

"I live in America with Uncle."

With

"After coming to America I am, in this moment, living in the house of the brother of my mother."

Even though a grammatical mess the second sentence is far more intriguing - it says more.

Once you've learned you own voice you can develop character voices.

Middle Class English woman - . "I do, however, vaguely remember my first kiss – Roger something, handsome boy, huge hands, the kind of boy I imagine mothers tell their daughters to stay away from . . ."

Once you've developed comprehensive character voices you may choose any character to tell your story.

From that point forward the job becomes relatively simple. The story is not about YOU - nobody's interested in YOU.

As you address your keyboard, get in the 'zone'. Who am I? What are my issues? What kind of shit am I in?

That's how actors do it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bethany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best