bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Are lit consultancies just out for money or can I trust them? I am at the stage where I have edited my novel to the best of my ability. I want a manuscript assessment and have sent off - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I am at the stage where I have edited my novel to the best of my ability. I want a manuscript assessment and have sent off samples of my writing to a few lit consultancies, and have received very kind feedback, too kind in fact. I am wondering if they are seeing pound signs instead of a nervous writer in need of help. I wouldn't be so dubious if they hadn't used the word "talented." It puts me on alert. Has anyone had any experience of these editors?

Thanks

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Radia543

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I think there is a difference between editors (for publishing companies) versus the type of editor the OP is talking about. You don't pay publishing company editors for feedback.

I would also be concerned if I'm paying someone to do edits and they don't give me much feedback, except to say how good I am. That isn't what I would be paying them for. Hopefully, since you've just sent them samples, you haven't paid much. I would probably select the couple most likely consultants and tell them you need more detailed feedback. If they don't want to give you any, toss them off the list. If you've got one that actually gives you something and you think the fee is reasonable, then go for it. If not, save your money or try somewhere else.

Another thing to think about is what type of editing you are looking for. Syntax/punctuation? Deep story analysis? Someone to check your continuity? All of these are at different levels and will likely cost you different piles of money. Be clear with what you are expecting and communicate that.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

well it is hard to really assess this kind of situation, however, I would think that editors would not give out praise too liberally. Many people submit stories in hopes of being the next Tolkien, but very few actually are able to. It costs a lot to print up a book and make copies to then ship out to stores and format for electronic publishing. If a book is crappy, they probably won't make any return on it.

If you are that nervous, let them know you appreciate their praise, but you are also looking for criticism to see where you can improve or fix anything. Everyone has something they can fix. If they still don't really provide any then they are more than likely blowing smoke up your butt. I would say though that if multiple editors have basically gave you the same feedback, you probably have little to worry about and should have more confidence in yourself. Again editors receive hundreds if not thousands of samples from hopeful writers each day, most of which are not print worthy.

Load Full (0)