bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Which free text analysis tools do authors use? I'm looking for free tools to perform some text analysis. I don't want just simple Flesch-Kinvaid or Coleman-Liau score, I was hoping for a tool - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I'm looking for free tools to perform some text analysis. I don't want just simple Flesch-Kinvaid or Coleman-Liau score, I was hoping for a tool that identifies problem sentences, overused words, etc.

There is a plugin for Google Docs called "ProWritingAid", but every report requires payment. Before I go ahead and pay for it, I wanted to check in and see if there were standard free tools available for creative writers.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Radia543

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Sorted from most technical to least technical.

My first thought was to use Python with the NLTK package.

If that's too technical the somewhat less technical AllenNLP might be worth to check out. It supports co-reference resolution, which means it can track entities across sentences. It could be useful for checking whether you're overusing words.

Did a quick Github search for correct sentence and found:

chat correct: a Ruby script that helps correcting sentences and that shows the mistake made.
Markov sentence correction: a Python script using a Hidden Markov model (i.e. machine learning) to correct sentences based on a vocabulary list.

Did an other Github search on grammar check:

language-check: a Python script using LanguageTool that checks for writing mistakes and can automatically give a suggestion for improvement.

LanguageTool: provides a simple browser add-on for FireFox and Chrome. It also has a stand-alone version and a Google Docs add-on. I think this would be the least technical solution.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Grammarly.

It does the job, essentially everything you've said and it's definitely worth your money.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The Hemingway "app" (a website, really) is probably the most common suggestion for this, although you can Google others to try. You may need to experiment with a few of them. Unfortunately, the Hemingway app can condemn Hemingway's writing.

Load Full (0)