bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to transmit feelings in a technical book writing? For example, in Skype conversations you use emoticons. I might use (headbang) after a phrase to express frustration, or I can have a (facepalm) - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

For example, in Skype conversations you use emoticons. I might use (headbang) after a phrase to express frustration, or I can have a (facepalm) moment, or I can write a joke and add (rofl), etc.

But how do you do this in a technical book (not an animated book)? Not all people might understand what (rofl) stands for. So what alternatives are there, or what techniques to use to express feelings or emotions in a technical book (not one with characters where you might make the characters behave in a certain way that express the feeling/emotions)?

Just an example: a project management book or something. Where you might describe a techniques that drives everyone crazy and never gives good results, but somehow doesn't stop people for using it again and again. For that I might use (headbang).

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

In instances where we want to convey how our software eases the pain and frustrations of tasks at hand, we generally write special example topics with real life scenarios, and in this regard, we have the liberty to express angst over situations and hopefully joy at how to solve them.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Technical books are usually devoid of emotions. Their purpose is to guide people to learn things, not particularly to make them laugh. That is also why you notice most text books are DRY and boring to read. I have found that interesting text books are personable. That is they aren't filled with dry language but more so as if you are having a chat with someone who is an expert and he is explaining it to you.

Once in a while, a joke might be tossed in for laughs on the subject to keep the reading light and enjoyable/change the pacing. Expressing frustrations in a text isn't wrong either, you just have to make sure it isn't complaining but done objectively.

The current hotdog like shape has been used for a long while now, and it seems the industry has not wanted to change it. The shape has remained the same for decades even though we have found new ways to design better aerodynamics.

Okay maybe a poor example because I don't have anything I can write as an example for a technical frustration. The point should still remain the same. You are expressing an issue with the industry/product/topic while not sounding like you are complaining.

Ultimately though, technical writing will be fairly lacking in the emotional department. They are there to explain processes and TEACH something.

It would be kind of weird if you were reading a technical book on making a cake and it went something like:

First you need to whip the eggs,the milk, and sugar together ha ha!

It gives a really weird and informal feel to it and most technical writing is not informal.

Load Full (0)