bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to keep track of characters' location, within a longer narrative? I'm currently working on a piece which has characters coming and going. Basically, sometimes a side character is near the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Do you have a lot of different specific places you want to keep track of, or just a few at a time?

Personally for me a non-digital approach works best. I have a whiteboard with a few different locations on it, and sticky notes with the names of the characters. When they go somewhere else I just move them on the whiteboard while writing on my laptop.

This gives me the ability to see in one glance where someone is, without having to switch screens on my laptop and stop my flow of writing. Sometimes (depending on the story) I also use different colors for different kind of characters for an even better overview.

This only works if you don't have too much different locations, and if you are writing chronologically. If you are switching a lot between different chapters during different moments it's pretty useless.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best