bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to make my story structure less repetitive? Someone told me that the way I write is almost like I'm writing from a template, how do I break away from this? I always end up with this: - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Set up your POV:

Omnipotent: Knows everything already, and isn't constrained by the limits of time and space.
First person: Focuses on one person, it tells everything through their eyes and leaves out things they don't know, but it's subjective as heck.
Third person: You walk around, following the hero(es), but don't need to be subjective about stuff.
Changing: You change POVs at a given structure level. Might or might not qualifies you as a lazy hooligan, especially if you break the flow by saying "John Doe's POV".

How our brains work:

We associate stuff with other stuff. This connection might be logical or illogical.
Give the information scattered, and bring up stuff when it gets into a character'smind, and is important enough, but being important is enough for third person.

If the world is damn complex, then you can still use child characters, "I got teleported here from our world" characters, and "I have amnesia" characters (that one has the benefits of losing normal memory, but not stuff like muscle-memory), and the Encyclopedia Exposita, a book that was might or might not been written by enraged neckbeards, and contains everything you need to know about the world.

Voice: different writers tend to have different voices, and thus, different "personalities", that might or might not correlate with their real-life ones. For instance:

J.R.R. Tolkien: Feels like if grandpa was telling a tale.

C.S. "Multilaser" Goto: A sadistic chaos spawn, who enjoys torturing Eldars and falls into coma (,) if he can't write down the word: "Multilaser" in the next page of his current "book".

I also have my own: descriptions that are strictly self-contained and allow no room for creativity, offensive jokes are played up to the extreme (funny), attempts (and fails) at following pre-established guidelines, abhors the use of metaphors, as (he thinks) it drops the reader out of the story, if you write: "her legs were noodles", so replaces them with a metric load of verbs.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelley992

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best