bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do i write an amazing love letter? My protagonist is a normal SLAVE kid. He lives in a kingdom in a fantasy medieval world. He is in love with a kitsune, so he is going to write a - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

My protagonist is a normal SLAVE kid. He lives in a kingdom in a fantasy medieval world.

He is in love with a kitsune, so he is going to write a loveletter. He loves her tail, pale skin and emerald eyes and long fluffy ears.

Using the description of this female kitsune, my question is, how do i write a good love letter? What style should i use?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I have two suggestions.

The first is for the protagonist to find some reason to love the kitsune other than her appearance or some task she might do that the protagonist appreciates or admires. People often want to be loved for who they are, not because they make you breakfast every morning, have the fastest time in the hundred yard dash, or because their hairstyle is flawless.

This is a tough ask. You'll have to think about it.

Try not to use a laundry list such as, "I love you because A, B, and C," where A, B, and C are "you walk the dog when I get home late from work," "you know just how I like my tacos when we go to that Mexican place on 7th street," and "your thesis on snail darters was the best I've ever read."

Instead say things like, "I love you because of who you are. When we lay together on the beach last night, the stars and the moon shone brighter in the sky then they ever had before, and I felt peace in my heart knowing you were there."

The second suggestion is remember that letters are physical things, not just words. Material touches matter in a letter, such as the color and quality of the pen used (and maybe a second special pen just for a flourish on the signature), the quality of the penmanship, stickers and little drawings in the margins of the letters, dried flowers dropped in the envelope, and so on. Don't miss an opportunity to make the letter more meaningful by including physical touches important to the sender and recipient.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Keep in mind you are not writing an actual love letter, which properly speaking, has an audience of only one person, and should be tailored directly for that person. Instead, you are writing a story featuring a love letter, and so that letter, like everything else in your story, should serve your aims as an author in communicating with your audience.

For that reason, there is no one answer. Is the letter supposed to tell the audience about the character and his life, and the social context he lives in? Or communicate information about his beloved, instead? Is it advancing their relationship, or betraying storms to come? Or is it designed to make us, the readers, fall in love with the character ourselves? Finally, is it just meant to be admired, as a pure work of art within the larger story? Each purpose defines a different set of choices.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There are several approaches and it seems more than one is needed here.

I'd recommend reading up on writings by and about (ex)slaves in order to get a grip on what that does to a person. Mark Twain may provide an entry point but it is a world in itself.

Early medieval ballads should be a good source on the love-life experience lacking our modern trappings like information overflow, easy travelling, the internet and especially Stack Exchange.

More specifically Japanese literature should give some insight in kitsune, how they lured men and how they made themselves irresistible.

But in the end only you can provide the correct taste of the fantasy they're in and the special and individual traits that make THIS a potential couple.

Oh and it should be really short:
You hero has no time, energy OR paper to indulge. He is property and will be working long hours.

Load Full (0)