bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can a POV be from a baby? So, this refers back to my question here. In that question I asked if the prologue to my story (the prologue occurs 17 years before most of the novel) should be - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

So, this refers back to my question here. In that question I asked if the prologue to my story (the prologue occurs 17 years before most of the novel) should be cut. I have reduced the word count to 1300, and still feel it belongs, but also still hear people say "I don't like prologues."

It dawned on me that (surprise surprise) one of the main characters in the story, whose POV occurs in every alternate chapter, is present in the prologue as a baby.

Is her mere presence in the prologue enough to justify calling the prologue (a short) Ch1? Or should I try to tell the events in the prologue from the POV of an infant?

Strange question, I'm sure, but thank you in advance.

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Maybe instead of a prologue you could make it a "home video" which is supposed to document a moment of this baby's life, which they are going to watch at a later point in your story.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I think it depends on how old your baby is. I have written quite extensively from the point of view of a toddler (interpreting what the parents do from his point of view, supposedly), but a baby does have a rather limited world view and ability to communicate and so I am not sure how you could make it work. That is not to say you can't.

As an alternative, include the 'prologue' as chapter two or three.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

It sounds like you know you've written a prologue (events occurring 17 years before the main story), and are concerned about identifying it as one. I've not heard anyone say they don't like prologues - is it the word "prologue" or the concept they don't like? If it's the concept, renaming it "Chapter 1" won't help.

On the POV question, I would wonder why (and how) the character - who with POV becomes the narrator - is able to recall events that happened when they were an infant. It's a nice idea, and you might be able to find a good way of doing it, but there's a risk it could end up looking a bit of a gimmick.

Coming straight out and calling the prologue a prologue might give you a bit more leeway on the questions around the POV.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

One of the most surprising, intriguing narrators I have seen was a baby (Saga - Graphic Novels). I think it was fantastic and far more gripping than a prologue.

Load Full (0)