bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to write long conversation of (whispers) when screenwriting? If you have a conversation of whispering in a screenplay do you have to put: BATHSHEBA (whispers) Beneath each character’s - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

If you have a conversation of whispering in a screenplay do you have to put:

BATHSHEBA
(whispers)

Beneath each character’s name.
I’ll add that the situation mandates whispering and could be understood easily I think.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Use parentheticals to establish that each character is whispering. It should then be implied that they continue in the same mode until one of them speaks up — at which point, you likewise establish that they speak up.

BATHSHEBA
(whispers)
How should I introduce you?

JOHN
(whispers)
By my name.

BATHSHEBA
Right. Makes sense.

JOHN
Yeah...

BATHSHEBA
(speaks up)
Hey, Larry, this is John.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

From my experience, the name and any special instructions are printed in the margin beside the spoken lines, which are themselves in a block of text and indented.
I take it that such is what you meant when you said “beneath”.

Use of abbreviations can be done — e.g.

(whis.)

— but should not be necessary unless you are conserving space or substrate i.e. paper.

A screenplay is meant to be accurate in conveying information to the director and the performers. They will use marks and highlighting as necessary to help them learn the lines; but, unless you provide such necessary information in the first place, how will they know it?

If an entire dialogue is done in a certain mode, then you can make such a note prior to the entire sequence. E.g.

The dialogue in this scene is done entirely in whispering.

Phrase that however is best.

Load Full (0)