bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: New story in 'same universe'. When is it a sequel? How to title? This is a two-part question, and I hope that's okay. 1. Would it classify as a sequel I've created a 'universe' in which - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Taking your question on its face, I'd say:

No, it's not a sequel, but a shared title would be appropriate.

What classifies as a sequel?

a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one.

That's straight from the dictionary. In your question, you state:

the stories share no characters, locations or plots, so far

It certainly doesn't smell like a sequel, even though it's set in the same universe. Take the Star Wars universe, for example (except, obviously, The Phantom Menace). There's a ton of shoot-offs from the movies: books, films, guides, games, etc. If you watch, read, or play them, you'd classify very few as sequels, because the main plot and developing characters of each story are different.

So I think it comes down to development. Are you further developing a plot, theme, or characters from the previous book? It doesn't sound like you are. So I think it's safe to say it's in-universe (thus, safe to market it as part of the same universe via the title prefix), but not a sequel.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Merenda569

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best