bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I improve my grammar? I feel like I have learned everything I know about Grammar by osmosis. I don't remember learning any of the technicalities of Grammar when I was at school and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

My main piece of advice would be:
Read.
What should you read?
Anything that interests you, as long as it's reputable. Novels, news stories, short stories, textbooks, well-received Stack Exchange questions/answers, etc--anything that's been under the scrutiny of a good editor. Experience the English language in its written form whenever you can. You'll find that your writing will soon change, as will the way you talk and think.
EDIT: I know my old English professor would berate me if I didn't at least mention Strunk and White's The Elements of Style. It's come under criticism in recent years, but it's still a solid choice for educating yourself on writing in the English language. Just don't view it as the letter of the law. In the words of a much wiser man than I:

The Elements of Style are more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. *
- Joshamee Gibbs

* Abridged

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best