bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I improve my grammar? I feel like I have learned everything I know about Grammar by osmosis. I don't remember learning any of the technicalities of Grammar when I was at school and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As The Spartan wrote, reading is important. However, it is not enough. Reading is a passive form of learning. Active practice is essential for acquiring any skills, including grammar.

Write and edit

Write a lot. Then edit a lot. Focus on grammar when you edit.

Work with a proofreader and an editor

I found that working with people who can show me my mistakes and, especially, their patterns is extremely helpful. Following their advice, it is possible to focus on problematic areas while still being productive and enjoying writing.

Teach grammar

Teaching is an excellent way to learn something. It may sound counterintuitive but in order to teach, you have to understand the material really well.

If you want a more formalised approach, I would suggest using ESL grammar textbooks. They usually include detailed explanations of grammar points from basic to the finest and exercises to practise them. They also may provide information on differences between various dialects of English which you can later incorporate into your writing.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Holmes449

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best