bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can I publish a book containing content licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License version 1.2? I'm writing a book and I'd like to include text that I found under the GNU Free Documentation - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm writing a book and I'd like to include text that I found under the GNU Free Documentation License, version 1.2

I have no problems attributing the content to the source, but I don't understand the legal implications of my actions. Thoughts?

The book I'm writing is a programming book. The code that I found is on the rosettacode.org website, if that helps.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Alves689

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Okay, I've read through the GNU Free Documentation License a couple of times now and I can say categorically that anyone who licences their work using this document is actually asking for you to reproduce their code in your book as a means of publicising their work.

The licence is not intended for people who wish to incorporate their code into software but is intended for people who wish to use a text version of their code (as you will be doing).

The important thing is to follow the instructions in the section: 'How to use this License for your documents' to ensure that you give credit where credit is due. Other than that, you're good to go.

I'm not a lawyer, but I am a smart enough guy with a couple of years in software development, a degree in Computing with Psychological Studies (so I knows my software) and half a Masters in Creative Writing (so I knows how to read and write).

Good luck with your book, GP.

Load Full (0)