bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Character feelings? I have 2 characters that I want to have a romantic tension with. The feelings are unrequited. Can I have it so that 1 chapter basically introduces and then ends the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As I stated in my comment, love is something that gradually develops, whether it is one sided or mutual, it takes time to develop. Some stories take a whole chapter just on the first meeting of 2 individuals, others sprinkle it throughout the story until it reaches an apex.

If you are introducing the feelings for the first time in a chapter, and then having them shut down in that chapter, there is nothing wrong with that persay. It depends on where YOU want the story to go. If this is an underlying theme where this guy does things for the one he cares about and it causes him to risk his life or what ever, then it should probably be drawn out.

If you want the audience to feel bad for the one who is unrequited, then you need to give the reader a chance to grow with the feelings too so that when the other person breaks their heart, the reader's heart is broken too.

Again it depends on your story, and the speed it is being paced at, however I would feel cheated if a love is introduced and then taken away within 1 chapter as a reader and would be given no time to really feel bad for the person who ultimately gets turned down. It would more be like "oh, dude got turned down by his first crush, oh well it happens."

As a side note... If your whole chapter is literally spent on this love and the growing feelings he has for the other character, and you are 20 pages deep into this chapter, sure you might be able to provide enough for a 1 chapter love affair that people could build a bond to. But again, it depends on the affect you want to create in the reader. If you want a deep emotion that is tied to importance, 1 chapter won't do it!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best