bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Writing a first-person novel where the MC gets temporarily taken out of commission? I've decided that this novel would work best as a first person POV, and I generally wouldn't like to give - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Yes, but the possessor changes the MC's sensory experience so
drastically from what's actually there that it would be impossible for
the reader to tell what's happening in the 'real' world.

You may consider narrating his warped sensory experience nonetheless. Aside from being an interesting writing exercise, it serves your point. If your readers are used to having his POV, they will follow you no matter what.
Maybe your MC start seeing the word in a completely different, unexplicable way, but it's a great chance to give the reader a feel of how the possession is like.

As you noted, it may be impossible to give a detailed account of what is happening in the real world. This is true. My suggestion is: start writing the things from the MC point of view, and then consider pairing up those descriptions with a 3rd person narrator which explains what's happening, as Sara suggested. If done well, this should provide emotional value and a precise account of the facts.

Imho this is the best compromise, since you don't want to switch to the POV of another character entirely.
You could also use a bit of the third option - have the friend explain afterward - to fill in the gaps after the facts, or add shock value (eg. "Where's Jon?" "You severed his head, barehanded").

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ogunnowo420

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best