bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What are specific things (choices, techniques, etc) successful published novel writers do and don't do? I'm looking for a list of the basics that successful published novel writers actually do. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I have wondered where published authors hang out on the internet. For example, if there are published and highly successful fantasy authors on this SE. If they are here, they use pseudonyms. :) Or I have missed seeing them (also possible.)

I believe items on your list would include practical items, and writing/stylistic items.

Practical:

They write. And read. They do these things, with an eye towards understanding how to improve their own writing, and like any other skill, they get better with time. The more we write and read, the more we understand and learn to write and read.
They know that success may take a long time. They choose to do this anyway.
They put the non writing pieces in place too. The book will not sell itself. I have heard it estimated that 75% of the effort is in fact not writing, but things like networking, publicizing, and so on.

Writing/stylistic items.

They use drafts. This implies they don't have it right on the first draft, or at least that it can be improved upon. Some new writers think their first attempt is fantastic. It probably can be improved upon.
They pay attention to characters. To me, this means giving the characters depth. Making certain they are consistent, and have their own voice, and grow.
They pay attention to pacing.
They pay attention to plot.
They pay attention to current conventions.

I asked elsewhere on this SE what are some of the pitfalls new authors fall into, and the responses were helpful. In particular, one person said to avoid shortcuts. It's a good idea for me, in the sense that now I look for areas in my writing are 'sloppy shortcuts.' (Like the use of quotes in that sentence.) As I am personally writing more? I find that I am more easily able to identify when I am taking a sloppy shortcut that should be expanded upon.

An example of a shortcut, is to not develop a character. If John is just in your story because your main character needs someone to talk to so that the reader knows what the MC thinks, but John isn't developed in your own mind, that might be a sloppy shortcut on your part.

Other pieces of advice I hear include 'workshopping' your book. This means having others read it, being in a critique group, listening to the advice you get and considering it.

I agree with Amadeus. I think family can be a good source of critique. I plan to have my family give me critique on my first good draft, because although they will go easy on me, what they do identify for me is likely to be the most egregious stuff. I need to fix that in the draft before giving it to non-family.

This is also a seemingly useful list.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best