bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Our note in footnote of a book How do I designate the footnotes that are mine inside a quote? I tried "our note", "note ours" and "remark is ours". Which one is the correct one and most - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If I understand you, you are writing a book and you have both your own citations and quoted material with citations and you want to distinguish the two types of citations. Is this correct? I don't see much need to distinguish them -- they are all just reference material, put them all in the end-notes (I hate numbered foot-notes personally, they're very distracting). If, as an ethical matter, you feel obliged to make the distinction, just write "citation in the original" in the end-note.
Or do you mean you have parenthetical material that was in foot-notes in the original? I would be inclined to omit them altogether in most cases, and if one were vital, I would include it in the main text:

Hamlet famously soliloquized

To be or not to be

and Shakespeare added in a foot-note "That is the question"

If you have so many quoted foot-notes that it becomes distracting, well, what the hell are you doing?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shakeerah107

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best