bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: An alternative to saying 'users' when describing features I'm creating some copy describing new web-app features for a number of different audiences (users, managers of sections of the site, owners - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Lately, I've been favoring the term "you" because, after all, the doc is addressed to the reader, to YOU, no question.

I've used employed written hidden behind the third-person "users," I think, because I haven't had the writing balls to address the target of the writing directly. For me, it takes courage to speak confidently and directly and sometimes forcefully to YOU but when I read something that's addressed to ME I'm happy and satisfied. There is no way I can misunderstand the writing. Second-person writing doesn't equivocate, it's not wishy-washy or queasy-squeezy or spongey.

Compare two versions that aim to instruct:

The actor should speak the speech as I pronounced it to him, trippingly on the tongue.
But if the actor should mouth it, as many of our players do, I had as lief the
town crier spoke my lines. Nor should the actor saw the air too much with his hand,
thus ...

Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue.
But if you mouth it, as many of our players do, I had as lief the town crier spoke
my lines. Nor do not saw the air too much with your hand ...

Second-person writing is strong and direct. There's no missing the meaning behind YOU.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Chiappetta298

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best