bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What to do with first writing Assume I have just written my first short story. I showed it to a few friends and they seem to like it. For the next step I want to find out if my work - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Assume I have just written my first short story. I showed it to a few friends and they seem to like it. For the next step I want to find out if my work has any literary/commercial value.

[You may ignore this part, but at the same time I guess I want to find out whether or not I am talented enough to continue writing, in other words, if I have some core skills that I can polish.]

What is the best way to achieve this in 2017?

Should I look for online magazines that accept submissions?
Should I look for online competitions?
Should I look into publishing my story on Amazon, or something similar, and see if I get any feedback (assuming anyone buys it)?
Should I look for paperback publishers that are interested in absolute beginners (if any)?

All of the above?

Also, what are the rules for publishing - if someone publishes my story, does that mean that another publisher cannot do that anymore?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I use a critique site: www.critters.org/
It is a co-op in which you contribute critiques of the stories of others in return for their critiques of yours. I have found it quite useful to think through the problems in other's stories and apply those insights to my own writing.

Load Full (0)