bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should I write a novel if I haven't read many? I have heard people telling that they have read so many books and have a mini library at their houses. I did not read many books (I am 17 - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you want to write, "writing" is always the right answer! There's no "should" about it, just do. However, regardless of your age and literary background, don't expect it to be good. That's not why you write, right? You write because there's something in you telling you to write. But you'll get there. Here's what I suggest.

Start writing your novel. Write whatever comes to you, even if that's dialogue snippets one minute and plot outlines the next. Even if it's just a cool quote you come up with that you'd like to use or a character background. Not everything you write will end up in the novel, but writing it all down is an important part of the process.
Write everything without worrying about editing yet. At the same time, get rid of anything that's holding it back. So basically, just write what comes, even if you know at the time that you don't like it, because any writing that wants to be good should expect to be reviewed a functionally infinite number of times. That way, you don't have to worry about doing it now. But once you identify something that just isn't working, drop it! It can be hard if you really like it, but that's why I keep other documents around and I'll cut the part out and paste it into a note, maybe for later or maybe just because I like it.
Write other stuff, too. You always need to work on your writing chops, so whatever floats your boat--poetry, short screenplays, short stories, whatever. There are always small writing challenges going on in different writer's communities, so that can be helpful for ideas and to get you started.
Speaking of writer's communities, if you can find some people in meatspace or online who also enjoy writing and thinking about writing, that can just be really nice in ways that you won't really know until it comes up somehow.
Start fixing your reading deficit. Reading is really, really important to writing. It's all part of really knowing language inside and out. Since you want to get a lot of reading under your belt, there's no reason to start with anything daunting, so pick a couple things you know are right down your alley. You can even kick it off by re-reading your favorite novel, if you have one. If there's an author or a topic you are into, start there and dive in. More reading is better, and it doesn't have to be the "right" reading. The more "good" writing you read, the better, but just getting started is the important part. Oh, and if you start something and just can't get into it, set it aside and pick up something else. Maybe you'll like it later or maybe you won't--the most accomplished readers have plenty of books on their "Can't/Won't do it" list, and plenty of those are standards of literature. For me, I love Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) and hate Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte). Also, Proust can get lost. But that's just me. If nothing else, read something you were/are supposed to read for school.

Anyway, those are the things that I think you'll find common to all writers, whether they're bestselling authors or fanfic writers or at-home literary doodlers.

EDIT: Oh, if you like Goosebumps, try The Haunted Looking Glass! It's a collection of Edward Gorey's favorite short horror stories, all by accomplished authors. And ignore the people who say Goosebumps doesn't count. Everything counts, especially if you enjoy it. Reading without joy is no better than reading shipping forecasts. The more you read anything, the more you'll come to appreciate reading in general.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jennifer354

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best