bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What does "juvenile tone" mean? I often hear the word thrown around, but I don't have any idea of what it is, or how can it be avoided. So, what does "juvenile tone" mean and how can I - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

DPT's comment on the original post mentioned a very important thing - context. The way to demonstrate an understanding of context is to be able to switch between different tones where appropriate - if the writer is going to use a juvenile tone, it becomes particularly important to establish the difference between a writer using a juvenile tone and a juvenile writer.

My user name on this site is a piece of juvenile humour. If I was to look at the tag on this post and suggest you moved towards breaking bad writing habits and away from Breaking Bad writing habits, that would be juvenile (and unfair to a fine TV show which cleverly demonstrated an ability to switch tone to deal with serious subjects).

It will be a matter of the taste of the intended audience but, if that's taken into account, there's nothing inherently wrong with using a juvenile tone where the context fits. That said, it's worth making sure the readers know it's a writer using a tone, and not a tone using a writer. A skilful writer will want to show that they have more than one trick up their sleeve.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best