bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When making a statement, when is it adequately supported? When making a statement in an essay, for example: ''Science is based to much on trust''. How much do you have to argument for/counter - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

When you make a statement like "science is based too much on trust," explain why you think that is true, ideally with reference to a specific example in a trusted source, that you cite. You've provided "adequate support" when someone else who examines your evidence could reasonably be expected to reach your same conclusion.

Science is based too much on trust, as shown by the 2005 scandal where the results in Yeah! Science... magazine, indicating the successful achievement of cold fusion were shown to have been deliberately faked up by...
NOTE: Example entirely made up.

It doesn't mean you can't have an opinion, or that you're not making subjective judgement calls, it's that they are based in something demonstrably connected to the real world, not just your own hunches and prejudices. I can't tell you how often I've been entirely and utterly convinced something is true or valid until researching it.
Despite being years beyond my school days, it's only since I started posting regularly on StackExchange that I really mastered this important skill. So picturing you're crafting an answer that meets the standards here might be a helpful trick! Here's an example of a potentially controversial, but research-supported answer of mine on another SE. Note that there's plenty of my own opinions in it, but that I've provided solid, objective support for my line of reasoning. Not everyone who reads it will agree, but they can evaluate it by reference to the same pool of evidence.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best