bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Writing a phone call scene in a screenplay I’m writing a scene that is on a phone call. I don't want to hear one person in a voiceover. Instead, I want to cut back and forth between - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I’m writing a scene that is on a phone call. I don't want to hear one person in a voiceover. Instead, I want to cut back and forth between the two people speaking.

Do I have to use a new scene heading every time, and notate the fact that the camera is cutting back and forth between locations?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

No, do not use a new scene heading each time. Use INTERCUT, described at the link.

Basically, a scene heading for each separate scene, then "intercut between X and Y [and Z and ...]. Then exposition or dialogue without new scene headings.

The following excerpt is cut and pasted from the link as an example; pardon any screenplay formatting errors.

INT. SHERRI'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Sherri starts disrobing in front of her open bedroom window.

INT. LENNY'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Lenny gets up to cross to the fridge to get a beer. He looks out his window and catches a glimpse of Sherri across the courtyard. He freezes, watching her.

INTERCUT BETWEEN LENNY AND SHERRI

Sherri sits on the bed and unbuttons her double-breasted suit jacket.

Lenny moves closer to the window for a better vantage point.

Sherri stands, hopping a few feet, trying to step out of her skirt.

Lenny, eyes glued to Sherri, moves to keep her in view. He slams his bare foot into a dumbbell on the floor.

Another example:

INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Sherri, comfy on the couch, is reading a book when the phone rings. She answers it.

SHERRI

Hello?

EXT. PHONE BOOTH - REST AREA

Lenny sips a Coke as he talks.

LENNY

Hey Honey, I'm in Barstow.

INTERCUT BETWEEN LENNY and SHERRI

SHERRI

Oh, Honey, that's great...

you'll be here by morning.

LENNY

Yep... I've got the pedal to the