bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What is the name of the service or job title for typing handwritten manuscripts? I was thinking about paying someone to type up the handwritten pages of my novel, so that I can go straight - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It seems to me you are looking for a scribe or scrivener. Historically, this job description was for copying from hand to hand, but it mostly has been replaced by digital formats.

Currently, hand-to-hand transcriptions are performed by rabbinical students in producing a new Torah. (The clever ones memorize the Pentateuch in doing so.)

Scribe: a person who copies out documents, especially one employed to do this before printing was invented. [Merriam-Webster's]

Personally, I feel you would be well-suited for doing this work yourself. Third drafts are typical, even before electronic media.

Similarly, you might be looking for a transcriptionist.

Transcriprionist: [One who performs] the action or process of transcribing something; e.g. The funding covers transcription of nearly illegible photocopies. [Merriam-Webster's]

This was very common in the '90s with medical records being transcribed from their original handwritten forms into a computerized medical records system.

A Google search revealed I have 3 transcription services within 6 miles of my home.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best