bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Introduce new English dialect I'm willing to introduce a new character who speaks a different English - he uses all the words with -ed in the past and past perfect tenses and he doesn't use - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

When you introduce something like this, it's good to ask yourself if it would be normal within the context of the world that your story is set in.

In this case, would the other characters in your story think of it as weird, or would they think of it as a normal trait for (in this case) people, say, from a particular area or with a particular background which happen to match this character?

It doesn't seem to me like you are introducing something that would make the text particularly difficult to read for the reader, and you are giving this character a very distinctive voice. The former makes it less of a problem, and the latter is often desirable to help the reader tell the different characters in a story apart.

There might be a slightly jarring sensation to the reader early on, but I'd suspect most people will get over it quickly, as long as you're consistent about the voice of this character.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Phylliss352

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best