bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I place a fictional neighborhood in a real city? I don't know if it's possible or not but could I place a made up neighbourhood in a city say New York? Or in any city? Can I change - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Of course you can! People plunk down fake cities in real states all the time, so why not a neighborhood in a city?

Your last sentence makes me worry just a bit though. This technique works best when you do know the city fairly well. You'll be more successful if you can say where your new part fits in, and if you get the rest of the city right, it will help the reader suspend disbelief.

I've built subway systems and back alleys into cities where they don't exist, but knowing that there's a particular corner eatery on D Street, and bringing that in, will have even native locals thinking, "Is there an alley back there?"

I recommend getting a physical street map (from the time period of your piece), and referring to Google Street View often. Search for things that fit the detail you are looking for, and more importantly, make sure that you don't contradict something important unintentionally. Don't build your neighborhood on top of Wall Street, unless you really mean to.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ravi5107385

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best