logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Points to keep in mind while writing a romantic novel So I'm currently working on a story that kinda is a romantic novel. But I need some starters, like what exactly to keep in mind while

Phylliss352 @Phylliss352

Here are some points:

Give the characters good reasons for falling for each other. "He was kind to me" is not as good an answer as much lazy fiction has made us think. It's all too easy to forget to give everyone a rich three-dimensional personality.
One of the good things about love stories is that relationships can give a character a better understanding of who they are as a person. Make sure each lover undergoes appropriate character development.
Be very careful with any sex scenes you write. They should be less about the mechanics and more about feelings.
Research the conventions of the genre, and think carefully about which to honour in your work and how to do so (or how not to). Will he be an architect? Will she be a florist? Will the other guy be a richer jerk?
The plot should be true to the characters, not necessarily to a cliché ending. Romances have experimented with alternatives since at least Romeo and Juliet. Give the plot, in its ending or otherwise, something that makes it stand out from other "Jennifer Aniston falls in love" plots.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme