bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I have to refer to a person of a specific racial group? My novel is developed in an East Asian environment (specifically Japan) and my main character is not Asian, she is from Central - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

One thing you should take into consideration is how has Asia influenced your character. Also, where in Asia? Asia is massively diverse and complex, so your character might use different language depending on who they are talking to.

Example:

If your character is talking to a Thai local, they might use the word "Farang"
If your character is talking to an Indonesian local, they might use the word "Bule"
You might have to generalize and just use American or European. You don't have to say white. If it's someone of African decent (or any other non-caucasian background), then usually you have to explain. Many Asians think people of color are all from Africa (of course it's a blanket statement), unless they actually care to understand more about cultures than their own.

Basically, the way your character refers to someone all depends on how integrated and familiar your character is with the local culture. Of course, it all depends on who they are talking to as well.

If you are talking to someone who speaks very little English, if your character is empathetic enough, they might use simplified or even broken English just so they can communicate.

Lastly, if you haven't been to the country in which your character is in, maybe visit an expat forum and ask about people's experiences with communicating with locals, and how they might have to change they way the speak. I know I've had to do it many times.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best