bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What are the standard genre characteristics of contemporary women's fantasy I want to write a fantasy novel with a female protagonist, and I want to familiarize myself with reader expectations. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Comment on the other answers

It seems to me that you all misunderstand what the OP means with "reader expectation".

In the question, reader expectation is identified with genre conventions:

When @Sorryforthat asks, What are its prototypical themes and plot? Or, in other words: What would a reader expect?, it is quite obvious from "or, in other words" that they understand "what a reader would expect" to be a different way of saying "prototypical themes and plot".

The title of the first version of this question (before it was edited by Chris Sunami) asked for the "prototypical fantasy plot for a female protagonist", and the body of the text still expresses a desire to understand genre "conventions".

Then the "additional context" even provides examples of such genre conventions (but none for what readers want to read, as most of you have interpreted the question).

Given all that, I can readily understand why @Sorryforthat felt "exasperated" by your stubborn disregard of his pleas to answer their question.

Answer

Current popular tropes are:

Diversity ("Cracking page-turner with a multiethnic band of misfits with differing sexual orientations who satisfyingly, believably jell into a family.")
Insta-famous ("Stunned and disconcerted, Maia must take his place as the rightful Emperor of the Elflands.")
Kingdom in chaos ("While her mother, the queen, remains busy at the war front, a corrupt king is plotting, wanting control of both kingdoms. Events will fling Evelayn onto the throne much sooner than she expected.")
Magic puberty ("Princess Evelayn of the Light Kingdom can finally access the full range of her magical powers.")
Gay love or sex ("I am impressed with the amount of male/male romances that are crossing my plate, but there is always room for more")
Urban setting (i.e. not a contemporary urban setting, but a medieval-type city [as in Sanderson's Mistborn]; "Urban fantasy is still strong, especially with female protagonists.")
"the female experience"
Genre crossover (alternate history fantasy, urban fantasy, western fantasy, science fantasy, etc.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Margaret427

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best