bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it discouraged to format a list of items vertically? In my writing, I tend to format lists of items: The school has a vegetable garden in which the children grow cabbages, onions, potatoes, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

In my writing, I tend to format lists of items:

The school has a vegetable garden in which the children grow cabbages, onions, potatoes, and carrots during their free time.

as actual vertical lists:

The school has a vegetable garden in which the children grow

cabbages,
onions,
potatoes, and
carrots

during their free time.

However, major document markup languages, such as HTML and Markdown, do not allow vertical content in paragraphs [1], i.e. the above text is actually internally represented as two separate paragraphs with a list in between. This, in turn, makes it difficult to style a web page to e.g. indent the first line of a paragraph without somehow extending the markup. Is this a deficiency in HTML and Markdown, or is the above use of lists rare / generally discouraged?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Alves689

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

While you can structure a list within a sentence this way, it's typically frowned upon. The preferred style would be to preempt the list with a complete thought that describes the list which follows it and treat that list as a break between thoughts. If you choose to have a vertical list you're saying it's important enough to be its own element and therefor draw the eye and break up a text. So, while it could be within a sentence, it often isn't and wouldn't be published that way without extremely good cause (or a desire to just muck with convention for art's sake).

<p>Lots of a text goes here. Perhaps multiple sentances. But I'm about to make a point. And now I'm making it. Here's a list that describes the options:</p>
<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
</ul>
<p>New paragraph begins here.</p>

Lots of a text goes here. Perhaps multiple sentances. But I'm about
to make a point. And now I'm making it. Here's a list that describes
the options:

Item 1
Item 2

New paragraph begins here.

Load Full (0)